Two of the Health Center's employees will be memorialized, as will a number of alumni, through naming opportunities approved by the Board of Trustees in June.
Joseph M. Healey Jr., who died in 1993 after serving as a professor of ethics at both the Health Center and the School of Law, will be memorialized through the UConn Health Center Auxiliary/Joseph
M. Healey Jr. Chair in Medical Humanities and Bioethics in the Department of Community
Contributions for the chair came from the auxiliary, along with faculty, students, and
colleagues of Healey's.
The trustees also agreed to name the executive vice president's conference room at the Health Center the Paula McManus Memorial Conference Room.
McManus served as associate vice president of planning at the Health Center from 2002 until her recent death.
The trustees approved several other Health Center naming opportunities, including The Lockean Distinguished Chair in Mental Health Education, Research, and Clinical Improvement in the Department of Psychiatry; the Linda and David Roth Chair of Cardiovascular Research in the Division of Cardiology;
and the Dr. Charles J. Burstone Endowed Professorship in Orthodontics, which was established through an endowment fund established by Burstone, a professor emeritus of orthodontics.
Burstone is the author of more than 150 papers and book chapters in the field of orthodontics, and former president of the American Board of Orthodontics.
The trustees also agreed to name buildings in Charter Oak Apartment for members of the inaugural graduating class in 1883.
The buildings will now be called the Frederick Brown; Charles S. Foster; Henry R. Hoisington; Burke Hough; Arthur S. Hubbard; and Andrew K. Thompson
And they agreed to name Charter Oak Suites for Alan Thacker Busby, UConn's first African American student, who enrolled at the Connecticut Agricultural College in 1914.
Busby, who chaired departments of animal husbandry at two public universities before retiring in 1966, was given the Distinguished Alumni Award in 1969.
Three buildings in South Campus will be named for women who graduated in 1894. The three include Nellie Louise Wilson, who asked Storrs Agricultural School principal Benjamin Koons in 1890 if she could attend the school for boys; and Louisa Rosebrooks and Anna Snow, who joined her in the fall of 1891.
Women were not officially admitted to the University until 1894.
The trustees also agreed to name the Hilltop Suites for Harry Lucian Garrigus, who graduated from Storrs Agricultural School in 1897 and became an instructor of animal husbandry.
He established the Morgan horse herd at Storrs, and helped expand the campus from 300 to 1,500 acres.