Banner Advance Home Navigation Bar Advance Home Issue Index Read past articles Weekly Calendar

  April 19, 2004

A Piece of UConn History/From Aggies To Statesmen - 1933
[ Index to UConn History ]

The 1933 cross country team.
After Connecticut Agricultural College became Connecticut State College in 1933, sports teams were called "Statesmen" instead of Aggies. That would only last until December 1934, after the Husky was chosen as the college mascot. This photograph shows the CSC cross country team (they were called the "Blue and White Hill and Dalers") in their new "State" jerseys in the fall of 1933, with Coach Knute H. Andersson in the center of the back row. Behind them, through the trees to the right, is the campus Dining Hall - known as the "Beanery". Today it is the William Benton Museum of Art.