This is an archived article. For the latest news, go to the Advance Homepage
For more archives, go to the Advance Archive/Search Page.


  February 2, 2004

A Piece of UConn History/Wintry Scene C. 1900

The old Storrs Congregational Church c. 1900.
A wintry scene around 1900 shows the old Storrs Congregational Church, looking north up what is now Route 195. The old church, built in the 1840s, faced east toward Horsebarn Hill, and was razed in 1926 before construction of the current church, which faces south toward North Eagleville Road. At left, toward the campus proper of Connecticut Agricultural College (CAC), is a barn.

A detail closeup from the photograph shows a sign-post with town announcements. At the top of the post is a sign that reads "Eagleville"; below are two announcements: one is headed "DOG NOTICE", which likely alerts residents of Mansfield and the CAC campus regarding roaming dogs; and a partially obscured notice that reads "AUCTION."
Photograph detail of signpost

Issue Index