[ABOVE] President Albert
Jorgensen proposed a facilty to house student activities as early
as 1937, but it was not until 1953 that the Student Union opened.
As this 1954 student illustration indicates, the union building
provided offices for student government and other organizations, as
well as rooms for meetings, lectures and small conferences. As it
nears its 50th anniversary, the Student Union is scheduled for
extensive remodeling and expansion under the UCONN 2000 program.
For more detail, please go to a larger
version of this rendering.
[ABOVE] A close up shows how the Student Union
Ballroom was depicted in this cartoon rendering from 1954.
[BELOW] This close up of the rendering shows
some of the rooms on the first and second floor of the north wing
of the Student Union Building. The first floor "soda bar"
was remodeled into a billiards and game room in the mid-1980s. In
the late 1990s, a fast-food franchise opened in the room, returning
it to its original purpose as a place to get a quick meal and meet
The second floor housed student government, and the staffs of the
student newspaper, radio station, and yearbook. By the early 1970s,
WHUS occupied the entire floor of the wing, as the other
organizations relocated. For the upcoming renovation, the radio
station has moved to a temporary campus site.