[ June 11, 2001
Issue ] Albert Blakeslee, head of the Connecticut Agricultural
College summer school from 1907 to 1913, heads a 1913 outing at
Codfish Falls in Storrs. He is seated in front, holding a cane.
Holding a camera is Jerauld Manter, entomology professor from 1912 to
1948 and unofficial college photographer for decades.
[ July 30, 2001
Issue ] Summer courses, primarily for Connecticut school
teachers, began around 1901 at Connecticut Agricultural College. The
first courses for college credit were offered in 1937 by what was
then Connecticut State College. Enjoying the watermelon at the first
summer school picnic, from left, are Charles B. Gentry, professor and
first dean of education; P. Roy Brammel, summer school director and
first dean of continuing studies; and Sumner Dole, athletics coach
and first dean of men.