This is an archived article. For the latest news, go to the Advance Homepage
For more archives, go to the Advance Archive/Search Page.

  May 8, 2001


CRT Seeks Summer Accommodation for Actors, Crew
Connecticut Repertory Theatre summer actors and technical crew need housing from May 21-July 30. If you are looking to sublet your house or apartment, please put in writing your name, address and phone number, the distance from the Storrs campus, whether you would rent to smokers or only to nonsmokers, if pets are allowed, and whether the accommodation is furnished. Also, please state the rent amount and whether to includes utilities. Send the information to Meryl Kronisch at Dramatic Arts, Unit 1127, Storrs, CT 06269, or by e-mail to

Nominations Sought for State Poet Laureate The Connecticut Commission on the Arts is seeking applications from the public for State Poet Laureate, an honorary position created by the Connecticut General Assembly. The appointment, to be made at the end of June, will be for a five-year term.

This will be the third appointment to the position. The state's first Poet Laureate was Pulitzer Prize-winner James Merrill. The second was Leo Connellan, who served until his death in February. No specific duties are required of the position.

Nominees for Poet Laureate should be long-term Connecticut residents with an outstanding and distinguished career in poetry and a substantial publication history. Nominations should include:

  • the name, address and phone number of the poet being nominated;
  • a letter explaining why the nominee should be considered for the position;
  • a biographical statement or resume including a list of published works and honors awarded.

Nominations must be received at the Commission on the Arts offices by Friday, May 18. A panel of professional peers will review the nominations. Selection will be based on candidates' professional accomplishments.

Nominations may be mailed, faxed or delivered to the Connecticut Commission on the Arts, One Financial Plaza, Hartford, CT 06013, or faxed to (860) 566-6462. For more information, call (860) 566-4770.

Issue Index